Suffolk Archives will be hosting a variety of different talks and lectures throughout the year on Thursday evenings. We will have special guest speakers, academics from the University of Suffolk, and our very own archive staff talking about an array of topics such as local history, archival content, and our exhibition themes.
We need a team of volunteers to assist us in greeting guests, showing people to their seats in the auditorium and facilitating the Q&A section.
Our Online Lecture series focuses on a specific subject over 8 events and can be enjoyed either as individual events or as a whole series.
Our Treasures from the Archives talks will be delivered by our Senior Archivist on some of her favourite items from our collections.
All of these events will have an online and in-person option available with volunteers assisting with the in-person delivery in The Hold's auditorium. Volunteers are invited to stay and listen to the talk or lecture being delivered on the night.
You can view the full public events programme on our Ticketsource page here: https://www.ticketsource.co.uk/whats-on/ipswich/the-hold
Once you have signed up for this challenge, the Volunteer Engagement Coordinator will be in touch to organise adding your preferred dates to the event volunteer rota.
- Give a warm welcome.
- Work with the event manager to set up the event, this could range from setting up the mic system or displaying event signage.
- Showing guests to their seats.
- Supporting the Q&A section i.e. passing the mic to audience members.
- Orientate visitors and let people know what is happening at the event.
- Support the risk assessment by monitoring health and safety requirements, i.e. removing obstacles, checking the number of people in a room or telling people of things to be aware of, such as steps.
- Support the marshaling of the car park.
- Checking tickets.
Why get involved?
- Enjoy being part of a team and delivering a quality event.
- The opportunity to stay and listen to interesting talks and lectures.
- Receive training and develop your skills.
- Be part of varied and exciting events.
- Travel expenses can be reimbursed.
How to get involved?
- Sign into your account or sign up to Volunteer Makers.
- Accept the challenge.
- Await a response from Suffolk Archives with more information.
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Giving a warm welcome
- Team work
- Effective Communicator
- Community Engagement
- Events and Programming
- Learning and Education
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Local History
- Collection Care
- I'm based near Ipswich
- Family History Research
- Social history
- Oral history