Our Searchroom and Local Studies Library are open to everyone to do research in our archives. This could range from experienced researchers to those who are starting on their research journeys. We are looking for warm, friendly volunteers to support our Archive Assistants with welcoming researchers, showing them how to use the resources in the library and searchroom, as well as how to make requests for items from the strongroom.
Alongside giving a warm welcome, some of the tasks you could be doing are:
- Supporting researchers on how to use our microfiche and microfilm machines.
- Giving suggestions on where to start with research.
- Supporting researchers with locating maps/directories/local studies library.
- Helping researchers with using our catalogues.
- Checking maps/local history library/directories etc. are ordered correctly and tidy.
- Letting visitors know what events/exhibitions are on or coming up and where to find more information.
- Collecting feedback.
Why get involved?
- Making a difference to researcher's experience of the archives.
- Being part of a regular team.
- Enjoyment and fulfilment.
- Out of pocket expenses which have been agreed with volunteer manager.
How to get involved?
- Customer Service
- Hands-on and practical work
- Giving a warm welcome
- Community Engagement
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Local History