We want you to bring the exhibition and interpretation areas to life by being on hand to share your knowledge and enthusiasm with visitors! You will mainly be based in the exhibition gallery but if someone is volunteering alongside you, there is the opportunity to spend time in 'The Street' where you can welcome visitors as they arrive and engage them in the fixed interpretation.
We have an exciting exhibition programme at The Hold which explores the fascinating stories and records from our archives. Our current exhibition is Pride in Suffolk's Past - an exhibition dedicated to the LGBTQ+ community past and present.
Due to having items on loan from other institutions, our exhibition space needs to be supervised at all times whilst it is open to the public. The roles will be on a flexible rota where you can choose the dates and times you wish to volunteer. We have morning and afternoon shifts so you can choose which time suits your schedule. Travel expenses can be reimbursed and specialist training will be provided by our Exhibitions and Interpretations Officer.
Alongside giving a warm welcome, some of the tasks you could be doing are:
- Answering questions on and embellishing the exhibition content with extra stories.
- Letting visitors know what events/exhibitions are currently on or coming up as well as where to find more information.
- Caring for the exhibition such as cleaning the exhibition cases and monitoring light levels.
- Welcoming visitors if based in The Street and engaging them with the fixed interpretation.
- Putting away trails or interactive interpretation (if applicable)
- Checking tickets, when appropriate.
- Assisting with evaluation.
Please be aware, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, you will be asked to complete a health survey. You will be provided with PPE which we expect you to wear in order to keep yourself, staff, other volunteers, and visitors safe. We will also expect you to observe social distancing.
Why get involved?
- Be part of a regular team.
- Training will be provided.
- Delve into Suffolk's fascinating history and share this with our visitors.
- Enjoyment and fulfillment.
- Lots of interaction with a diverse range of people.
- Out of pocket expenses which have been agreed with volunteer manager.
How to get involved?
- Customer Service
- Event Stewarding
- Working independently
- Giving a warm welcome
- Eye for detail
- Effective Communicator
- Learning and Education
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Exhibition Installation
- Local History
- I'm based near Ipswich
- Social history