Suffolk Archives has three bases throughout Suffolk: Bury St. Edmunds, Lowestoft and Ipswich. In summer 2020, the Ipswich archive will have moved from our old premises to The Hold, opposite the Waterfront Building of the University of Suffolk.
We offer a 5 day placement (Monday to Friday) which may be a mix of front of house tasks and behind the scenes to give you a well rounded experience of what it is like to work in an archive.
Our work experience offer is currently undergoing a revamp, however, tasks you might expect to undertake are:
- Supporting the welcome desk
- Exhibition stewarding
- Assisting in the searchroom
- Conducting your own research with original documents
- Helping with the storage of new collections
- Answering enquiries from the public
A plan for your week will be given to you before you start your placement.
Why get involved?
Suffolk Archives offers genuine experience of working in an archive and heritage attraction. Having a placement here will give you an insight into the type of work you can expect from working in an archive and prepares you to see which skills you may need to develop if you are considering a career in this area.
How to get involved?
- Archive cataloguing
- Community Work
- Event & Project Management
- Events and Programming
- Learning and Education
- Marketing and communications
- Visitor Service/ Front of House
- Curatorial/Working with Museum or Archive Collection