Suflolk Archives is establishing a varied and exciting exhibtion and display programme across all three of our branches. We are looking for volunteers to take on the challenge of helping us with creative and practical tasks as we prepare our Spring 2021 exhibtion at The Hold in Ipswich.
Sharing Suffolk Stories: Pride in Suffolk’s Past
The Pride in Suffolk's Past Exhibition will be held at The Hold between Feb-April 2021 to coincide with LGBTQ+ history month.
The research undertaken and stories discovered from this Sharing Suffolk's Stories community project will form the cornerstone of this exhbition including the contempory stories and experiences that we have collected. https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/displays-online/pride-in-suffolks-past/
The project is two-fold, to explore and share the past stories of homosexuality and bi-sexuality in the Suffolk Archives but also to collect contemporary stories of Suffolk’s LGBTQ+ Community to document the experiences of Suffolk residents through a period of monumental societal change towards gender identity.
A number of themes and stories have been discovered in the archives and many people have contributed their own experiences of growing up and living in the LGBTQ+ community in Suffolk today. Help us showcase these stories to the general public through exhibition displays and interpretation.
Support our exhibition preparations through tasks such as:
- Opportunities to develop content into display text and captions.
- Photographing objects and documents
- Measuring and condition checking objects and documents
- Preparing audio files and oral histories for use through editing and transcription
- Mounting selected objects and documents
- Assisting the Exhibition and Interpretation Officer to develop case layouts
- Researching and writing object labels and image captions
- Preparing display materials
- Assisting in developing durable, family friending gallery interactives
- Opportunities to assist with exhibition install.
Exact tasks will be agreed and explained by the Exhibition and Interpretation Officer.
Why get involved?
Working alongside the Exhibition and Interpretation Officer
- Develop new practical skills, or use your existing experience
- Opportunities to be creative
- Actively contribute to high profile exhibitions and displays
- Work with unique records from Suffolk Archives collection
- Support the Exhibition & Interpretation Officer in curating exhibitions and events at The Hold.
- Support evaluation of the project with requested project information and feedback.
How to get involved?
- Sign into your account or sign up to Volunteer Makers.
- Accept the challenge.
- Await a response from Suffolk Archives with more information.
- Design & Illustration
- Working independently
- Hands-on and practical work
- I'm based near Ipswich
- Team work
- Effective Communicator
- IT skills (Microsoft package)
- Community Engagement
- Creative and Arts
- Exhibition Installation
- Local History
- I'm based near Ipswich
- Social history